BBQ ranch dressing combines the best of both worlds – the smoky barbecue sauce with the creamy richness of traditional ranch dressing. Learn how to whip it up, and explore creative ways to use it beyond salads and burgers.
We all need a break from the basic ranch salad dressing from time to time. Whether you’re using it as a tangy salad dressing or a smoky dipping sauce, BBQ ranch dressing adds a delicious twist to any dish.
Key Ingredients for BBQ Ranch Dressing
To create the perfect BBQ ranch dressing, you’ll need a few key ingredients that come together to form a delicious. Here are the essentials:
- Sour cream: Provides a creamy base for the dressing.
- Mayonnaise: Tangy flavors come alive with high-quality mayo.
- BBQ sauce: Infuses the dressing with smoky and tangy flavors.
- Dried Parsley: Classic herb used in Ranch seasoning mixes.
- Dried Dill: Adds a grassy, bright flavor to lift the sauce.
- Garlic powder: Enhances the flavor with its aromatic notes.
- Onion powder: Adds a savory depth to the dressing.
You could sub out the dried herbs and spices to use your own Ranch seasoning mix, such as the Hidden Valley Ranch mix. I’ve found that this recipe is already quite flavorful without the added ingredients, but customize it the way you like!
How to Make BBQ Ranch Dressing
Step 1: Mix the base ingredients
Set out a small bowl and grab a wire whisk.
Add equal parts sour cream, your favorite bbq sauce, and high-quality mayonnaise. Whisk together until the ingredients are silky smooth. Taste and adjust if you’d like more sweet heat from the barbecue sauce.
Step 2: Add seasonings and whisk
Sprinkle in the garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, dried parsley, and salt to taste. Whisk again to mix everything well.
Fresh-cracked black pepper really elevates this, so I recommend hitting it with some at the end.
Place the homemade dressing in an airtight container, such as a mason jar, and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Allow the bbq ranch to sit for at least 30 minutes before eating, this helps the spices and herbs to hydrate.
Variations for Flavor
Step outside of the box, there are plenty of substitution ideas to customize your BBQ ranch dressing:
- Honey mustard: Add a sweet and tangy twist by substituting a portion of your favorite BBQ sauce with honey mustard.
- Swap out herbs: Experiment with different herbs, such as dried dill, parsley, chives, or tarragon, to add a fresh and herbaceous note to the dressing.
- Citrus: Add fresh lemon juice with some zest.
- Spicy variations: For a spicier dressing, stir in finely minced chipotles in adobo sauce or use a spicy barbecue sauce, such as a Mexican Buffalo Sauce recipe, to really kick up the heat.
- Healthier: Use plain or greek yogurt in place of mayo for a healthier spin on this recipe.
How to Use BBQ Ranch Dressing
Homemade bbq ranch dressing is a versatile condiment that can be enjoyed beyond salads and burgers. Its smoky and tangy flavor profile adds a delicious twist to a variety of dishes, making it a favorite dressing for dipping sauces.
Whether you’re dunking fries, or onion rings, or drizzling it over a BBQ ranch salad, this tangy and spicy sauce is the perfect dip.
- Chicken wings: Toss crispy grilled chicken wings in BBQ sauce, then dip them in ranch dressing for a winning combination of savory, tangy, and smoky flavors.
- BBQ Chicken salad: Mix grilled chicken, corn, black beans, red onion, lettuce, cheddar cheese, and more with BBQ ranch dressing for a flavorful twist on your favorite salad.
- Chicken nuggets and french fries: Serve the kids (or yourself) a pile of chicken nuggets and french fries with a side of BBQ ranch dressing.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch: The ultimate combo, which will taste delicious on a bun with a side of Sweet and Spicy Pickles.
- Sausage Popper Boats: Trendy for a reason, and they love dipping sauces. Try out the bacon-wrapped edition, or even classic Smoked Jalapeno Poppers.
How long can homemade ranch last in the fridge?
With proper storage, such as a mason jar, your homemade ranch should last in the fridge for up to two weeks. Check to see if the dressing discolors, it will start to turn darker, or if it develops an odor.
Personally, I do not believe your bbq ranch dressing is going to last more than a few days. It’s SO dang good!
BBQ Ranch Dressing Recipe
This easy bbq ranch sauce will quickly become a staple for your salads, burgers, sandwiches, and all of the dippy things. At Chiles and Smoke, we’re here to bring people together with bold flavors, using spice and flames to ignite the food and friendships.Print
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup favorite BBQ sauce
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¾ teaspoon dried dill
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Mix the base ingredients. Add the sour cream, mayo, and BBQ sauce to a medium sized bowl. Whisk together until the sauce is smooth, without any lumps.
- Add the seasonings. Sprinkle in the rest of the ingredients and whisk to incorporate. Taste, and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- Rest for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a little bit, allowing the herbs and spices to hydrate into the dressing.
- BBQ ranch dressing will stay fresh in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
- Mix up different kinds of BBQ sauce to add variations to the flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauces & Salsas
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Dressing
Keywords: favorite bbq sauce, homemade ranch dressing, bbq ranch dressing, bbq ranch, dipping sauce