- Bake the potatoes. Wash the potatoes and poke a few holes in each one with a fork. Bake them at 400°F in the oven for an hour, or until they are tender to the touch. Allow them to cook slightly before slicing.
- Slice the potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh. Reserve for mashed potatoes, or another recipe (see notes).
- Season each potato with a sprinkle of the BBQ seasoning before adding in the filling.
- Top each skin with slices of jalapeno, cheddar cheese, and some of the bacon crumbles. Do this for all of the potato skins. Brush the edge of each skin with a little olive oil to promote additional crisping.
- Smoke the potato skins at 325°F for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges of the potato skins are crispy and the cheese is fully melted.
- Serve immediately with the sauce of your choice.
- Bacon crumbles can be made by cooking bacon until crispy and then chopping it into pieces. Also see our recommended recipe for Smoked Bacon Crumbles, a huge boost to the flavor.
- Use the potato filling that was scooped out for a second recipe, the Loaded Baked Potato Jalapeno Poppers.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Smoking
- Cuisine: Appetizer
Keywords: baked potato, potato skins, smoked potato skins, appetizer