- 2 NY Strip steaks
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- (optional) 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4” slices
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- (optional) 1/2 tsp red chile flakes
Simple Shirazi Salad
- 1 English cucumber (or 2 cups small cucumbers), small diced
- 2 large roma tomatoes, small diced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp cilantro, diced
- 3 tbsp parsley, diced
- (optional) 3 tsp mint, diced
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Feta cheese for garnish
- Slice the eggplants, salt both sides, and allow them to sit aside on a paper towel for 15 minutes. This helps draw out the excess moisture.
- Season the NY Strips on all sides and allow them to rest.
- Chop up and mix the ingredients for the baste, and also for the Shirazi salad. Set aside.
- Heat up the grill for medium-high heat, set for direct grilling.
- Pat the eggplants dry with paper towel and brush off excess salt.
- Brush the slices with the oil baste, and place the slices with the oiled side on the grill. If using a gas grill, close the lid. Allow them to cook for about 5 minutes, or until grill marks appear.
- Brush the tops with the baste and turn the slices over, repeating the process for another 5 minutes. Brush each side as needed with the baste to make sure it stays moist.
- Set aside eggplant when cooked and brush excess baste on for more flavor. Clean the grates for the steaks.
- Grill the steaks for 2 minutes per side, and flip. Just keep flipping every 2 minutes until the temperature is about 10 degrees below preferred doneness. Make sure to sear the fat cap on the side of your steak as well. Remove the steak between 125-130˚F for medium-rare, and allow it to rest under loose foil for 10 minutes.
- Plate the food with the eggplant, slices of steak, salad, and garnish with feta cheese.
Don’t make the salad ahead of time, the lemon will soften it too much. It’s meant to be more crunchy.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Beef
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: eggplant, shirazi salad, steak, ny strip, strip steak, beef, grilled eggplant, seared steak, feta