- 2 1/2 cups diced tomatoes, seeds removed (about 8 Roma tomatoes)
- 1 white onion
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dice all of your ingredients. Remove the seeds and cores from the tomatoes. Try to dice everything into even sizes. The tomatoes will be the largest dice. Make your onions a smaller dice, and the jalapenos the smallest.
- Season and macerate. Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Give them a stir. Allow the pico de gallo to rest for at least an hour before serving so the lime and salt can permeate all of the ingredients and mellow the onions and jalapeno.
- Taste and adjust. Give the salsa a taste before serving. As the juices come out of the vegetables you may need to add a little additional salt.
- Serve and enjoy. Make sure to serve the pico with a slotted spoon so you get all of the glorious chunks of fresh vegetables without the excess liquid.
- Always allow your pico de gallo to rest before serving it. This will allow the lime and salt to work their magic and mellow the onion and jalapeno while marrying all of the flavors.
- Tomatoes taste better at room temperature. Let your pico de gallo sit out before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sauces & Salsas
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: Salsa
Keywords: pico de gallo, fresh salsa, fresh pico de gallo, salsa bandera, salsa mexicana