- 2 lb chicken wings
- 3 to 4 tbsp of Homemade Chipotle Seasoning
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6–8 leaves of fresh sage
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Homemade Chipotle Seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chile powder (or cayenne for optional heat)
- Mix all of the ingredients for the Homemade Chipotle Seasoning. Taste and adjust.
- Take the wings out of the fridge and make sure to pat them dry. Apply the seasoning generously. Place the wings on a baking sheet with a wire rack, and set in the fridge, uncovered for at least 1 hour, up to 4. This allows the seasonings to penetrate and will help create a crispy skin.
- Pellet Smoker: Set your temperature for 225°F. Smoke the wings for 45 minutes, then turn the heat up to 325-350°F and cook until the chicken is at least 165°F internal temperature, about another 20-30 minutes.
- Offset or Kamado Smoker: Set your temperature to 300-325°F and smoke until the internal temperature is 165°F, approximately 50-70 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Once the butter starts to sizzle and foam, add the smashed garlic to the butter. Take the leaves of sage and drop them in the butter, frying for a couple of minutes on each side until they are crispy. Remove the leaves and set aside. Turn the heat off, and stir in the honey and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the butter sauce over the wings and top with the crispy sage.
Making the sauce only takes about 5 minutes, so I wouldn’t recommend making it ahead of time.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Smoking
- Cuisine: BBQ
Keywords: chicken wings, sage, butter, butter sauce, sage butter sauce, smoked wings, bbq, chipotle