- 1 pound ground beef, 80/20
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, deveined and peeled
- 2 tablespoons Smoky Southwest Dry Rub
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- Smoked Pickled jalapenos
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotles in adobo
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Fire up the grill. Light the coals and set up the grill for 2-zone cooking, placing the hot coals on one side only. Spread the coals evenly when ready and allow the grill to preheat. Aim for medium heat, it should not be raging hot or the tortillas will burn.
- Mix the ingredients for the chipotle mayo, taste, and adjust.
- Portion the beef and prepare the tacos. Make sure the beef is about a golf-ball size, roughly 2 ounces. Using wax or parchment paper, press them into the tortillas. Push the beef to the edge of the tortillas and season the meat with the spices as needed.
- Prepare the shrimp skewers. Place the shrimp in a bowl, making sure they are cleaned and shelled. Pour in the oil and add enough spices to coat the shrimp. Mix them around to spread the seasoning, and add them to small skewers. If using wood skewers, make sure they soak in water prior to grilling.
- Grill the smashburger tacos. Place the tacos on the grill over the coals, 2 at a time. They cook pretty quickly, so watch them closely. Flip them to the cool side of the grill after about 2-3 minutes and allow them to rest. The ambient heat will continue to cook the backside without charring the tortillas. Repeat the process for the rest of the tacos.
- Grill the skewers next. Clean the grill grates and place the shrimp skewers on the grill. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until they are charred and about 120°F.
- Build the tacos. Place the shrimp on the tacos and fill it with your favorite toppings, such as chipotle mayo, chopped cabbage, and pickled jalapenos.
- Watch the burgers as they’re grilling. You can always move them over to the cooler side of the grill if they seem like they’re searing too quickly.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Main Course, Lunch, Appetizer
Keywords: surf and turf smashburger tacos, surf and turf tacos, surf and turf burger, beef and shrimp, grilled smashburger tacos