- Preheat the smoker to 250°F.
- Spread the mustard seeds into a thin layer onto a baking sheet lined with foil. Smoke the seeds on the baking sheet for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to make sure they are evenly smoked.
- Place the seeds in a bowl, and add the water and white wine vinegar. Mix the seeds around, and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow the bowl to sit at room temperature for at least 5 hours, up to overnight.
- Remove the seeds from the bowl and place them in a fine-mesh strainer, draining any of the remaining liquid. Add the seeds to a high-speed blender or food processor. Add in the white wine, 2 tablespoons of water, and kosher salt. Blend until smooth. Add additional water as needed to thin it out.
- For a smooth Dijon: Pour the mustard from the blender back into the fine mesh strainer, resting over a bowl. Using a spatula, push the mustard through the strainer to remove any large chunks of seeds.
- Taste and adjust as needed with salt or vinegar. It will be very spicy, as the enzymes were just activated. Allow the mustard to sit in the fridge for 2-3 days before regular use.
- Prep Time: 5 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Sauces & Salsas
- Method: Smoking
- Cuisine: Condiment
Keywords: Dijon, mustard, smoking, mustard seeds, condiment