- 1 pack of bacon, 12-16 ounces
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the smoker to 300°F.
- Lay out the slices of bacon on a wire rack with a baking sheet. Season each side lightly with a mixture of the chili powder and black pepper.
- Place the tray of bacon in the smoker and allow it to cook for about 60-70 minutes total. You might want to start monitoring it after 50 minutes.
- Remove the bacon when ready and blot it with paper towels. Allow it to cool completely before chopping it into small crumbles.
- Store the smoked bacon crumbles in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 days. Use as a garnish for fresh dishes, or as a topping for baking.
- Every type of bacon will have a variance with timing due to the fat content, thickness, and smoker fluctuations. Use your intuition. You are looking for crispy bacon that’s dark, but not brittle and burnt. Try a sample and taste-test it for yourself.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 60-70 minutes
- Category: Rubs & Seasonings
- Method: Smoking
- Cuisine: Condiment
Keywords: smoked bacon, bacon crumble, smoked bacon crumble, homemade bacon bits