- 1 pound ground beef, 80/20, portioned into 2-ounce balls
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 8 slices American cheese
- Burger Sauce (recipe below)
- Sweet and Spicy Pickles
- Shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Portion the beef and prepare the workstation. Make sure the beef is about a small golf-ball size, roughly 2 ounces. Have the tortillas, cheese, and everything ready to go as this process happens quickly.
- Heat up the griddle to a high heat for searing. Don’t turn on all of the burners, just the one you’ll need to sear. This will give your tacos a cool landing place for when they are flipped.
- Season the beef and place on the griddle. Sprinkle salt and pepper onto one side of the beef and place it face down on the griddle. Do this for all of the portions, spacing them far enough apart so you can smash them down.
- Add the tortilla to the top and smash down. Quickly place a flour tortilla on top of the beef and smash it down using a press or your spatula. Press down to make sure it’s extremely thin. It’s not a problem if the burger is a little bigger than the tortilla. Let the meat cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the color of the beef has darkened and it’s crisp on the bottom.
- Scrape and flip the tacos. Using a bench scraper or spatula, forcefully scrape the meat off the griddle and flip the tortillas to the cooler side. Do not sear the tortillas on the hot surface, or they will crisp up. Add your cheese and cover the taco with a bowl or a lid to assist in melting if needed.
- Top and serve immediately. No need to wait for the meat to rest, these smashburger tacos are waiting for your toppings. Enjoy!
- These can be prepared on a cast iron skillet as well. Transfer the tacos to a warm plate when flipping to make sure the tortillas stay pliable.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Beef & Lamb
- Method: Griddle
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smashburgers, tacos, smashburger tacos, burgers, cheeseburgers, pickles