- 5 full-length sausages, with casing
- 4 oz cream cheese, cold
- 20–25 slices of Smoked Pickled Jalapenos, or of your choosing
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- (optional) BBQ seasoning of choice
- Using a sharp knife, slice into the casing on one side of the sausage (see image above for reference) and open it up with your hands. Be careful not to push the meat out of the casing, you really just want to open it enough for the fillings. Push the meat so it creates a little ridge on the sides, making sure the cheeses don’t leak out during the cooking phase.
- Slice the cream cheese into equal slices, enough for each of the sausages. It helps if the cream cheese is cold, right from the fridge. Place a slice into each of the sausage boats, followed by 3-5 slices of pickled jalapenos, then a generous pile of cheddar cheese.
- Preheat your smoker to 300°F (See blog for tips on using grill or oven). Place the sausage popper boats onto a wire rack with a baking sheet, and smoke them for 45-60 minutes. The sausages should be darker, the casings are crispier, and the cheese on top will be melty. Times may vary depending on how many you choose to cook at once.
- Remove from the smoker when ready and serve. The cheese will be like hot lava in the center, so give it a couple of minutes.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Smoking
- Cuisine: Appetizer
Keywords: smoked sausage, sausage boats, sausage popper boats, jalapeno poppers