Step up the savory flavors with this Parmesan Crusted Steak. Using filets, we’re adding an incredibly creamy layer of cheesy umami and spices. Only a few extra minutes transforms this into a very special meal.
- 4 Omaha Steaks filet mignon steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Season each steak with salt and pepper, let them rest at room temperature while you prepare the rest.
- Preheat your smoker or oven to 225°F.
- Cook the steaks for 45-60 minutes, depending on how you want them to be cooked. I recommend pulling them off at 115°F for medium-rare. Place the steaks on a wire rack with a baking sheet underneath if using the oven.
- Prepare the parmesan topping while the steaks are cooking. Mix all ingredients together, taste and adjust.
- When you’re close to the target temperature, preheat the broiler with a cast iron skillet inside. If you’re using the oven, just wait until the steaks are at the target temperature, and then switch to broil.
- Pull the steaks out of the smoker or oven when you’ve reached the target temperature (see chart in the guide). Smear the parmesan topping on each of them and place them in the hot skillet, and then under the broiler. Do not walk away, the topping will crisp up in just a few minutes. When it looks like it’s ready, take out the skillet carefully (will be blazing hot) and remove the steaks, allowing the parmesan to cool slightly.
- The steaks are ready after a few minutes, they do not need extended resting time. Slice and enjoy!
Pay attention to temperatures for the first half of reverse-searing. Make sure you do not add oil to the skillet and place it under the broiler, just use a well-seasoned pan. The steaks will sear just fine.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Smoking
- Cuisine: Steak
Keywords: steak, filet mignon, parmesan, reverse sear, smoking, oven, parmesan crusted