- Prepare the pork belly. Trim the pork of any excess meat or fat from the sides, and remove the skin if necessary. Place the pork fat side up on the cutting board. Using a sharp knife, make vertical slices in the pork belly 1/2 inch apart, slicing almost halfway through the meat. Season the meat generously on all sides, making sure the seasoning also gets into the cracks.
- Season and rest. Place the pork belly on a wire rack uncovered in the fridge for at least 4 hours, up to overnight. This step will give you a much better bark during the smoking phase.
- Smoke the pork to temp. When ready to cook, remove the pork belly from the fridge and gently pat dry any moisture on the outside. Preheat the smoker for indirect cooking at 275°F. Place the pork belly fat-side up in the smoker and cook for about 2 hours, or until it reaches 165°F internal temperature.
- Rest the pork belly. Remove the pork belly and allow it to rest while you increase the temperature of the grill for searing.
- (optional) Cool in the fridge. The smoked pork can be sliced, grilled, and served the next day. Chilling will also firm up the texture of the fat which remains very tender.
- Slice into thick strips along the vertical slices. Sprinkle on additional seasoning to the sliced edges.
- Sear the strips. Place the pork on the grill, with the exposed sides facing the coals. Grill for about 2 minutes per side, being careful for flare-ups.
- (optional) Glaze the pork belly with BBQ sauce. After the first flip from searing, glaze the pork belly with BBQ sauce. Brush the sauce on the second side at the end.
- Rest and serve. Allow the pork belly to rest for a few minutes before serving. These can be sliced into cubes or served as strips for tacos and sandwiches.
The pork belly can be sliced as needed, right out of the fridge. Once the pork has smoked in its initial cooking phase, cool it down before storing it in the fridge. Sear on the grill or a skillet for tender, crispy pork.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Smoking Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pork
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Pork
Keywords: grilled pork belly, smoked pork belly, grilled pork, bbq pork belly, barbecue pork belly, crispy pork belly