- 1 jalapeno, sliced thin
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 12 ounces of ground beef, 80/20, split into 3-ounce portions
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 slices of American cheese
- 2 slices of Havarti cheese
- 2 hamburger buns, brioche or potato
- Mayo or melted butter for toasting
- Preheat your griddle to a medium-heat. Use a slightly lower heat for the second burner, which will be used to toast the hamburger buns.
- Sear the burgers and toppings. Place the shaved jalapenos and onions into 2 small piles on the hot surface. Immediately place a portion of ground beef on top of each. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Allow the meat to sear for about 3-4 minutes until it gets crispy underneath and can be flipped.
- Flip the burgers. Using your spatula, scrape underneath and flip each burger. Add the slice of Havarti cheese to 1 of the patties.
- Toast the buns. Place the curved side of the buns down directly onto the griddle and press down gently. Allow them to toast for about 2 minutes and flip to the flat side which should be buttered (or slathered with mayo). Add a slice of American cheese to each of the buns.
- Assemble the grilled cheese burgers. Stack the two burger patties so the Havarti cheese is between them, and place them onto a toasted bun with the American cheese. Flip the other bun so the cheese is sandwiching the burgers. It’s time to eat!
- Keep them warm (optional). Place the burgers in a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap them tight. This helps to keep them warm while also melting the cheese further.
- Have everything prepared in advance before cooking the burgers, otherwise you’ll be rushing to grab the next ingredients.
- Don’t forget to butter the buns with some mayo or butter before you get started.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Burgers & Sandwiches
- Method: Griddle
- Cuisine: Burger
Keywords: grilled cheese, grilled cheese burger, smash burger, jalapenos, cheeseburger