- 2 large heads of broccoli
- 6 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 1 diced shallot, about ¼ cup
- 1/2 cup smoked Gouda, sliced into small cubes
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup crushed cashews, roasted and salted
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep the broccoli. Cut the head of broccoli in half, lengthwise. Slice each half into quarters. Spray or drizzle the broccoli quarters with cooking or olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat for direct grilling. Clean the grates.
- Grill the broccoli cut-side down for about 2-3 minutes until some char develops. Flip to the other cut side, and continue cooking. Check to see if the broccoli is done enough, the colors should brighten and the stem will have softened slightly. Remove from the grill and allow them to cool.
- Cook the bacon in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F and place the bacon on a wire rack with a baking sheet, or a foil-lined baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes and flip halfway through. The oven helps it get to the level of crispy you’ll need for the salad. Allow it to cool on paper towels to blot away excess grease.
- Mix the dressing, which is the buttermilk, sour cream, apple cider vineger, Dijon mustard, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Trim the broccoli into bitesize pieces and add them to the dressing along with the shallots, cashews, golden raisins, and smoked Gouda. Fold everything together until the dressing has completely coated the salad. Taste and adjust with additional salt and pepper as needed. Cool in the fridge, covered, for at least an hour before serving.
- If making this ahead of time, do not add the cashews and bacon into the salad until just before serving.
- This salad will stay fresh up to 3-4 days covered in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Salad
Keywords: Salad, grilled broccoli, broccoli crunch salad, creamy dressing, bacon, smoked Gouda, golden raisins,