This simple process and some live fire creates crispy, flavorful grill-fried chicken. The Pork Panko creates a delicious, skin on skin flavor that elevates the crust, prompting you to grab two at once.
- 2 lb chicken drumsticks, about 5–6
- 3 Tbsp chili oil (or oil of your choice)
- 2 Cups Pork Panko
- 2 Tbsp BBQ Seasoning (your choice)
- Prepare the Panko by mixing with the seasoning.
- Pat the chicken dry. Place the chicken on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Brush the chicken generously with oil. Use one hand to handle the chicken, the other to sprinkle on the Panko. Sprinkle the Panko generously on the chicken on all sides, patting it down gently with one hand. Do not roll the chicken in the Panko, this will clump the Panko together.
- For the Grill: Set up your grill for indirect grilling, aiming for 325-350°F. Clean your grates extremely well, and rub some oil on the grates to prevent sticking. You do not need many coals, this is a shorter cook. Grill the chicken indirectly for about 30-40 minutes, flipping gently every 10-15 minutes. The chicken temperature needs to be at least 165°F, you may cook higher to be safe.
- For the Smoker: Set up your smoker for 325-350°F. Cook the chicken until the internal temperature is at least 165°F, you may cook higher to be safe.
You can use this same recipe for any type of chicken. You may need more Panko and seasoning if you use wings, or a whole chicken. Try using flavored oils or seasonings for different flavor combinations.
Keywords: Grill Fried Chicken