- 8-ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 8-ounces shredded Gouda cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup beer, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Dijon or coarse-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sodium citrate
- (optional) 1/4 cup diced jalapenos, or chipotle
- Warm the beer and sodium citrate over medium heat in a saucepan until it dissolves, which should take a few minutes.
- Slowly add in the shredded cheese, whisking to melt. Adding all of it at once will cool the temperature too fast. Once the cheese is melted, add the mustard, spices, and chiles if using.
- Keep the sauce warm on low, stirring every so often, until ready to serve. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Mix and match cheeses, but try to keep them to the same weight if possible for the most consistent results.
- As the beer cheese sauce sits at a low temperature, it will form a thin skin on the top. Simply stir it before serving, and it will melt back into the sauce.
- Do not add the sodium citrate to warm beer on the stove. Warm them up together instead, and whisk to dissolve them. If you do add it after the beer is warmed, it will generally foam up and spill out of the pan.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sauces & Salsas
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Sauce, Cheese, Condiment, Dip
Keywords: beer cheese sauce, cheese sauce, condiment, beer cheese, cheese dip