These are so simple to make with generous portions of juicy steak and flavor bursts. Chipotle skirt steak fajitas are quite spicy but balanced out with sweet peppers, cilantro, and sour cream.
- 1 lb skirt steak (or flank steak
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp brewed coffee
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced into thin strips
- 1/2 white or red onion, diced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- Sour cream, for serving
- Flour tortillas
- Prepare the marinade. Mix the chipotles, garlic, oil, coffee, lime juice, and salt together so they are fully incorporated. Place the steak in a sealable bag, and pour the marinade in. Marinate for at least an hour in the fridge, up to overnight.
- Prepare the veggies for cooking, slicing everything into thin strips. Take the steak out of the fridge and the marinade, let it come to room temp.
- Set your grill for high searing, around 400-450°F.
- Sear your skirt steak over the grill. Flip every 30 seconds, building the crust. Continue to do this for about 4-6 minutes until it reaches the target temperature. Remove at 130°F for medium-rare, and set it aside to rest under loosely tented foil.
- Place a skillet or saute pan on the grill, allowing it to warm up with the oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the peppers and onions, then season with salt. Cook them until softened, but not mushy. This should take between 6-8 minutes. Add in the cilantro at the end and stir. Taste and adjust with more salt if needed.
- Slice the skirt steak in half, and then cut against the grain length-wise. Serve immediately with warm tortillas, sour cream, and more cilantro if desired.
Use any combo of peppers and onions you’d like. Red onions will have a sharper flavor, white and yellow will be milder and sweeter.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Marinade: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: mexican, beef, steak, skirt steak, fajitas, grilling, vegetables, sour cream, salsa, chipotle