Get out your spatula and American cheese! We’re going to tackle a classic-style smash burger with some jalapenos and chipotle fry sauce.
- Ground beef 80/20, formed into 3oz loose balls per patty
- Potato buns
- American cheese
- Pickled jalapenos
- Red onions, sliced thin
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Butter for toasting the bread
Chipotle Fry Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chipotles in adobo, chopped fine
- Make the fry sauce. Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat the flat-top to medium-high heat. Add the butter and toast the buns to your preference, watching closely so they don’t burn.
- Apply the sauce to both buns, and the veggies to the bottom bun. The burgers cook fast so this will save you from scrambling to assemble.
- Add the beef to the griddle. Take one of the 3oz patties in your wax paper. Season the top, and place on the hot surface so the seasoning is on the bottom. Repeat for each patty.
- Quickly lay the wax paper on the burger, place your spatula or press on top and press down firmly. Make sure all edges are flat. Remove the paper and repeat quickly with each one.
- Flip the burgers when there is barely any pink left on the top, and it’s crispy on the bottom. You may need to scrape them, this is normal. As soon as you do, apply the cheese.
- After 15 seconds, stack the burgers and the cheese together, and then assemble on your bun. Enjoy!
Make sure you don’t leave the beef on the griddle for very long before you smash. I recommend smashing within 30 seconds after you place it down for maximum juice.
Keywords: burgers, smashburgers, griddle, cast iron